The Essential Guide To Survive Mumbai’s Traffic During Ganesh Chaturthi 2018
Mumbai wears a festive look as locals welcome huge Ganesh idols with much fanfare. Music, sweets, dance, decorations, prayers and family gatherings — that’s what the festival celebrations look like in the city. It’s all merry and fun, but for commuters traveling to work, it can cause a major inconvenience. To ensure that traffic doesn’t go in a frenzy, the Mumbai Traffic Police has made elaborate arrangements for Ganesh Chaturthi 2018.
Ganesh Chaturthi 2018 Traffic Updates
If you want to plan your commute in such a way that you can avoid all the traffic, here is some information on the traffic arrangements in the city:
- On September 13,14,17,19 and 23, there will be certain traffic restrictions in the city. They will be imposed from 12 pm to 6 am on all days.
- 53 roads have been closed for vehicular movement and 56 roads are open only for one-way vehicular movement.
- There are parking restrictions at over 95 places in Mumbai till 23 September.
- Barricades have been placed at routes where huge crowds are expected. This is done so that pedestrians and vehicles can move smoothly. Dadar, Lower Parel, and Andheri are some of the areas where this has been done.
- Mumbai Traffic Police has set up control rooms at Girgaon Chowpatty, Shivaji Park Chowpatty, Bada Masjid Bandra, Juhu Chowpatty, and Ganesh Ghat-Powai. Ganesh idols are set to be immersed at these five spots on September 23.
- During the immersion ceremony, police will get a better view of the traffic situation as some personnel will be stationed at watchtowers.
- In case of a vehicle break down, look out for BMC cranes or police cranes. They will be stationed across the city at strategic locations.
- For medical assistance, various first aid centers have also been set up near the major Ganesh Pandals in the city.
- Overall, 2,800 traffic police officers and 1,000 traffic wardens have been deployed to manage the traffic in Mumbai during the 10-day festival.
The festival has only started, so you can expect more traffic arrangements or restrictions in the coming days if the traffic situation gets out of hand. Details about traffic arrangements in Mumbai for Ganesh Visarjan 2018 are still awaited. We will update the article as soon as we get more information.
Did you face any problems due to traffic this Ganesh Chaturthi? Tell us about your experience in the comments section below. Also, share traffic updates in the areas near you so that other Mumbaikars can plan their travel better.
You may be interested
10 Best Places to Take Your Kid Out in Mumbai – Fun Places Near MeVibha Sharma - November 14, 2019
Today on the day of Children's Day, let’s take you back to your childhood! What is your most adored memory? It’s probably something to do with swings,…
Must Visit 8 Brand Stores In Mumbai For Diwali ShoppingVibha Sharma - October 25, 2019
Diwali is known as the festival of lights, it is celebrated with much fanfare all across India. If you live in Mumbai, you might’ve experienced the grand…